Monday, May 3, 2010

Some more thoughts

Since that post got kind of lengthy, I decided to put my final thoughts about the course in a separate post. I definitely entered this class without any clue about the course topic and didn’t know what to expect when I discovered we’d be discussing “nature.” Overall, I enjoyed this course and the diversity of our discussions and course materials (videos, essays, games, photographs, and so much more). Like Skyler, Tim, and Christina, I realize that I haven’t reached a conclusive answer about the definition of nature and its boundaries, and nor have I really been able to define the relationship between humans and the rest of the world. Rather, I look at this class as providing me with tools to approach “nature” differently and think more critically about our interaction with the environment and “nature.” Perhaps it is not so important to reach an answer as it is to learn to think critically about what we categorize as “natural” and what we don’t and how that impacts our relationship with perceived “nature.”


I’ve also noticed that this class has impacted the way I look at objects I would normally take for granted and has caused me to question the “nature” presented in these common items. From thinking about the eco-friendly label on my Organix brand shampoo to analyzing the various breathtaking desktop backgrounds that HP offers on laptops for consumers (especially under the section titled “Nature” and “Landscapes”), I began to notice how much our interaction with “nature” and the values we attribute to “nature” is present in our everyday lives.


Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you to all of my brilliant classmates who brought such insightful thoughts and ideas to our class, as well as to Chiara and Alenda. You both have been so supportive and helpful, and have done a great job of guiding and improving both our skills of writing and of analysis. Thank you! =)

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome! (And by the way, I'm with you on the natural desktop backgrounds... do you see any people in those images?!)

    ReplyDelete