Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hey guys and gals!

In my effort to find an object for the upcoming project I read Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. I won't actually be using it, BUT I encourage the rest of you to at least look up information on the novel and to look at the plot/political message in light of the film we watched in class, Food Inc. It's surprisingly eerie how similar the topics addressed in each work are. I'd be curious to see what the class may think about the similarities (keeping in mind that The Jungle was published in 1906). Does how little our food mechanization system has changed since the industrial revolution scare any of you?

Anyways...food for thought ;)

Jordan Willis

2 comments:

  1. I've never read that book but I've heard about the background behind it in history class. Though the establishment of the FDA has since greatly improved the situation described in The Jungle, undercover research once again reveals the shocking flaws in today's generally trusted food industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sinclair's book offers a useful parallel to the conditions of contemporary migrant workers, many of whom are employed in agriculture. We need to think not only of where our food comes from and how it was raised, but also about who performs the labor of bringing it to our plates and refrigerators.

    ReplyDelete